Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Who's house? Run's House!

I feel like I'm starting to hit a groove here. My days are pretty packed, but they're fun. I have lots of little activities that are keeping me laidback. On Mondays I go to Shanghai for some frisbee, Tuesday and Wednesday there's basketball, Thursday is soccer, and then back to Shanghai on the weekend for partying and frisbee. I've also started raiding the local industrial complex for dumplings. They make the most delicious zhurou jiaozi (pork dumplings) and they're 3 kuai a tray (50 cents)!!! I've also recently learned how to navigate the Chinese mail system - or at least I hope so. Let me know if the mail arrives...

Hmmm, what else is new. Well, I had a really good day of classes today. My English class (which is usually painfully shy) was very energetic and participatory today. I was being a bit of a goofball and I think that helped loosen them up. I've decided to expose them to a little American culture at the end of each class too. (Side note: last night I watched Dogma and there's a scene where Matt Damon is leaving a bus singing Run's House by Run D.M.C. to himself.) This movie watching inspired my first introduction to American Culture - me dancing around singing "Who's house? Run's house. Say what? Who's house? Run's House." Entertainment at its finest...

My Chinese is improving, but the progress is painfully slow. I spend almost my entire day speaking and interacting in English (ironic, considering I live in China), so any improvement is a result of my studying and then the few hours of experimentation outside of school. And by experimentation I mean eating. I'm getting to be quite good at talking to waiters and getting food that I like. Valuable skill here on the mainland...

Here is a picture in memory of all of you H1's and Crunkfesters out there:


- Jon

No comments: