Thursday, September 4, 2008

Poking her head out of her shell...

Ok. Enough is enough. I've taken a little hiatus, during which Jon has so graciously (and enthusiastically) taken over the blog-writing duties, but I'll come out of my little cocoon…at least for a few brief narrative moments.

We've almost completed our first week of school, and I have to say that I'm pretty wiped. And I mean every day around 2pm I have the strong but hopefully well-masked desire to conk out hardcore. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's that I need to be "on" whenever I'm with the wee little 4th graders. But my energy is shooting out as if it's attracted to all other people, things and activities….except its home, its vessel….me. A quick nap or lolly-gagging around for a bit, along with doing something fun, usually does the trick. But this whole process usually means that my brain power is drained (or I convince myself that it is) so much that it ends up being quite difficult to make myself redirect and focus on learning and practicing my Chinese flashcards. I think I need to start studying with the course-books and whatnot that we have because I am my own worst, and least strict, teacher. Don't worry…with the 4th graders, it's a whole new ballgame. Long story short: I'm on a mission to give myself a forceful and strong yet also gentle kick in the ass so that I can fully live up the opportunities that are smack in front of my face.

In other news, I got my Foreign Experts Certificate today and I my visa will soon be changed from single- to a multi-entry, which means that I will most definitely be cruising over to Hong Kong come October for a sweet tournament. However, since Jon is the world traveler that he is, he had no more pages left in his passport….thus, the local police couldn't put the new visa inside. Eek! No worries. His mission tomorrow entails missing work (bonus!) to go to US Embassy in Shanghai and get new pages. No biggy. Silly boy gets to miss work (eh, at least I don't have to teach until 10am…boss!).

Out and over…off to watch some Scrubs with Jon and our new friend Ryan (who might just love the show as much as we do).

Adios!
Emma

No comments: