Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shanghai Shindig

This weekend was another fun frisbee weekend in Shanghai, but this time there was a little twist... After 3 glorious hours of frisbee in the park there was a surprise birthday gathering (with Emma and Milan organizing)! A bunch of frisbee players met up at Milan's place for some bowling (there is a bowling alley in the basement of his building!) and then we all went out to a dongbeiren restaurant. Dongbeiren just means northeastern person, but basically it's code for "house of delicious dumplings." The food was amazing and it was nice to hang out with the frisbee gang off the field. A real interesting group! The highlight of the meal for me was the bizarre noodle and egg eating birthday ritual. At the end of the meal, the waitress came in and fed me a reallllly long noodle (which I had to eat without breaking) and then she stuffed a whole hardboiled egg in my mouth. I'm sure there were some amusing pictures taken (which I will try to procure and post later...) Post-noodle/egg consumption we all headed off to a local bar where we ate tiramisu and drank some mojitos. (Side note: there isn't too much that I've missed about the United States over these past few months, but I would have killed for a good mojito. Luckily, now I don't have to... All I have to do is head back to Shanghai!) All in all, a group of wonderful new friends made this weekend a memorable birthday surprise :)

- Jon

No comments: