Monday, April 13, 2009

Pessach

Last Saturday, I hosted a Passover seder at our apartment. I was a little nervous (more anxious than I should've been) because it was the first seder that I was hosting without the help, guidance, and culinary skills of my mom. But she sent some amazing recipes, like the kosher-for-passover cake (with chocolatey nutty goodness) that is legendary in our household. There's only one place to buy supplies for Passover in Shanghai, and it's at a Jewish center mostly used for kindergarten and Hebrew classes. They had one room on the third floor with some basic Passover needs, like kosher wine, matzo, matzo meal, brisket...but it was by no means a store. I got their last box of matzo meal, for which I was eternally grateful. I cooked a few dishes in the days prior, and then spent most of the day cooking on Saturday....just like my mamma did. I think the biggest hit was the matzo kugel...so scrumptious and delicious. I'm actually thinking of making some more...just cuz.

We had over mostly Jews with a smattering of non-Jews, and we read a uber simplistic kids' version of the Exodus story (part of the Haggadah), sang some songs led by Sara and Dan, read the 4 questions, and told a silly but still humorous joke using the Jewish-grandmother tones and accents. Then we feasted and feasted some more. Overall, it was a pretty big success (even though the nerves of hosting and organizing got the best of me at times), and now we have leftover cake to last at least a month....who am I kidding? A week. Either way, boss'm.
Happy Passover and Happy Easter!

- Emma

No comments: