Tuesday, April 21, 2009

B-Boy Battle & Sake Bar

On Saturday night, I went to see a b-boy battle at Racks, a bar & billiards lounge. Lining the hallway and the floor were skater-looking kids, all Asian, with clothes that looked they had been graffiti and hats with a super stiff rim. For the first hour or so, kids were just goofing around and doing their thing....not much of a show. Which I thought was a huge disappointment....until I realized that the show hadn't started yet! Whew! There was then a combo of crew and individual battles. One crew had a girl, and it was awesome. She mostly did acrobatic stuff, but it was still hot. I got some great footage too....they are so talented and crazily strong and flexible. I am not worthy!!!

One slight disappointment was that I thought the famous Korean crew, The Gamblers, were going to be there. Ever since I saw the documentary Planet Bboy (which you should all see), they've been on my radar. Instead, one guy from the crew, "Bruce Lee," was a judge. At least I got to see his moves at the beginning...he was clearly the best one there.

Later I went to a sake bar with Geoff: 100RMB for all you can drink sake and Japanese Smirnoff Ice-esque beverages. I only had one square cup (yeah, weird) of sake before switching drinks… that stuff was mighty strong for my test buds. The best part, though, were the strange characters I met. One guy looked like the epitomized stereotypical California dude. And where was he from? You got it. When he said where he was from, I somehow heard Washington, so I asked, “Oh, you’re from Washington State?” He responded, “You’re from Washington State?” I said, “No, are you from Washington State?” Again, he asked, “You’re from Washington State?” At which point I gave up: “Yes, I’m from Washington State.” Not like I cared that much anyway…He now lives in Macau (which is the Vegas of China) and is in Shanghai doing market research: he sells diamonds for Ermenegildo Zegna, but only on sunglasses. You know the big bug glasses with studded shiny hints to add bling? That fact alone had me giggling for a while. But more inner laughter ensued when he pitched his “brilliant” idea for a play. He had no plot line, no beginning characters. Just the first two lines of the theme song: “The nights of Shanghai! The lights of Shanghai!” It’s now stuck in my head, so he may be on to something. Silly boy.

After some short yet comical side conversations, another guy comes over to me (mind you, Geoff has abandoned me at his point and is nowhere to be found). Somehow, he gets the idea that Geoff has a crush on me, and though he does adore me, I’m sure….he’s more like my brother than anything else. I tried to deny it to Sir Creepy, as he closed in on me and squinted his eyes all dazed-like, but he wouldn’t budge. That started the story of lies. I just started making stuff up, most of which I can’t remember, but it was really fun to start spewing out fun stories and making up random stuff about me (e.g., I only date Asian and Black guys…Sir Creepy was white, so it seemed convenient). Somewhere in there I did mention that I had a boyfriend, but the creepiness prevailed. The best part was his jacket: an MC Hammer style gold silk jacket with two giant fish on the front boob area…and it was reversible!!! Ha! He even took it off and flipped it inside out to show me. It was all I could do to not laugh…

Later, he asked for my number (persistent bugger), and for some reason I gave him a wrong number: I changed the last digit of my actual number. I know, I know, I should’ve just said something like, “No, sorry…” But I didn’t…and here’s the kicker: he got another digit wrong in addition to the fake one. So I could’ve given him my real number and he still would have gotten it wrong!

Overall, a splendid day.

- Em

1 comment:

Zaphod said...

so, in reading this, I thought that this was written by jon for the first... 3/4ths. Try reading it again that way. It will make you laugh.

Love

Alan