Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fireman Training

Everyday after I leave class I pass by the school track. Usually there are a couple of old people wandering around doing tai chi and playing with weird toys (I can't describe them sufficiently, so one of these days I'll just snap a picture). Students sit in small groups on the field in the middle of the track enjoying some sunshine or eating some snacks. All of this is fairly familiar, but there is something special about our Jiaotong University track - fireman training.

Everyday a fire truck pulls up and unloads a couple dozen firemen. They don't train like normal people though, they train like professional athletes. These guys are ridiculous. They sprint around the track carrying all sorts of bizarre parafanelia. Sometimes they run with backpacks full of rocks, sometimes with full gas masks, and sometimes just carrying two rolls of fire hose. These guys are horses... If my building is on fire, I'm glad that these guys are coming to the rescue...

Jon

No comments: