Thursday, March 12, 2009

MRI and X-Rays

Ever since October—when hurt myself merely pivoting in Frisbee after having climbed the gazillion steps at Huangshan and my muscles and joints were super tight—I have had serious back and hip pain. At first, I couldn’t move I was in so much pain. Five months later, the pain is constant but not constantly excruciating. That’s why I didn’t go to the doctor before: I was worried that I would spend an exorbitant amount of money on a visit and tests only to hear that I need to rest and stretch. But the time has come. I haven’t played Frisbee in 5 months and it’s been too depressing to miss out! And the pain has gotten a little worse since it got a little better.

Yesterday, I got an MRI and x-rays at the local hospital. Three of my coordinators from work went with me to help with translation and such, which was so extremely kind and generous. Plus, we had guanxi (“connections”): the dad of one of the graduated kindergartners from my school works in orthopedics at the hospital, so I got to skip a lot of lines, which means a ton when you’re in China where the lines are endless (I picked a good job, eh?). Anyway, after 2 days of tests and waiting rooms, I got the results back. Apparently, two parts of a bone on the right side of my pelvis are smushed together where there should be a space. It’s like they’re clamped together. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory to loosen the area up.

This Saturday, I have an appointment with a western doctor at a western hospital, so I’ll show him my test results and hope that he can give me good insight on a diagnosis and on what kinds of exercise/therapy I should do now.

It’s hard to stay positive because it’s so ever-present and inhibiting in my activities, and I kick myself for not having seen a doctor sooner (I was way too preoccupied about money. If I had had insurance and could get physical therapy with no problem, I wouldn’t have thought twice….silly girl). BUT, as Jon so lovingly reminds me, I need to stay on the sunny side of things and think positively, especially since mental stress can add to physical pain. Though difficult, Jon and all my friends (yes, you!) have been super supportive. I don’t know what I would do without all of your love and strength.

Here’s to optimism (and finally taking care of myself!).

Ciao for now,

Em

No comments: