Saturday, March 14, 2009

Different Aspirations

Last entry I was writing about my Chinese teacher's shocking view of gender roles. It got me thinking about some of the cultural differences between Americans and Chinese. Now, I'm not going to get into a deep analysis on the issue, nor will I even attempt to catalogue all of differences (and similarities) that I've come to understand during my time here. I'm just want to share anecdotes when something surprises me...

I tutor a girl in business english 3 times a week in the evenings. During our most recent meeting, we were talking about our childhoods and what we wanted to be when we grew up. I asked her what she wanted to be when she was in middle school and she said "I wanted to be a scientist." This kind of blew me back. I can't remember any kids in my middle school who wanted to be scientists. Everybody wanted to be a singer or a professional athlete or something. I remember wanting to be a park ranger. So, I asked her if her dream job was a common one amongst Chinese kids. She looked surprised that I would even ask. She said it was by far the most popular job. Maybe 50% of the kids in her middle school wanted to grow up to be scientists... Wow.

On that note, I'm off to teppanyaki where I will realize my American dream of all-you-can-eat and drink steak, sushi, shrimp, beer, etc...

- Jon

No comments: