Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving in a Strange Land

China is definitely a strange land, but that's not really the focus of this post. I just want to write a quick blurb about Thanksgiving here. Thanksgiving (being an American holiday) is not celebrated here at all, but a group of American teachers at my school decided to get together and give it our best shot. We all got gathered at Keli and Amanda's for a delicious pot-luck dinner. Everybody brought bizarrely different (but still wonderful dishes) - Emma made zucchini, Ryan made fruit salad and bought some chickens, Sebastian brought some Chilean bruschetta type stuff, Pilar contributed an amazing cake, Mike made macaroni and cheese, and I made 2 lbs of pasta (those of you who know me well would have expected nothing else). I really like potluck dinners. There's something special about cooking/baking your own food and then bringing it to share with others. That's what Thanksgiving is all about to me - bonding over food :) It's not the same as turkey dinner at home with family, but these funky Thanksgivings abroad are just as special.

- Jon

No comments: