Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Suzhou-style

Halloween isn't really done here in China. The Chinese kids know about its existence and wanted to celebrate it. I taught them "trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat" and gave myself a virtual pat on the back. Now, that's a job well done. Haha. Aside from a couple of candy-crazed kids Halloween is a foreigner-only event in China. A bunch of the other young foreign teachers at our school decided that we should take advantage of the Friday night/Halloween festivities to go out in style. We found an Aussie bar in town that was serving free beer (7pm-midnight) to anybody in costume! I couldn't believe it. FREE BEER. This is unheard of... I mean, I'd dress up like an idiot every weekend if it meant free beer. God, I love free things. Anyways, we slapped together some costumes last minute. Actually, I shouldn't say that. The girls (Emma, Keli, and Amanda) put some serious time and effort (and arts & crafts skills) into their costume and turned out with 1 pregnant redneck and 2 cats. I decided to go with the low-effort route and chose to be a Chinese tour guide. Now, this doesn't make as much sense for those of you who have never seen a Chinese tour, but I'll try to give a little description. Basically, Chinese tours consist of 30 random Chinese (who are all forced to wear matching brightly colored hats) and a tour guide. The tour guide has a similiar brightly colored hat, brightly colored flag, and finals a mobile amp for blasting whatever it is they say to anybody within a 5-mile radius. Anyways, we made our way downtown as a Chinese tour guide, 2 cats, and a pregnant redneck (and her husband) . We drank free beer, chatted, and had a wonderful time. The best part of it was actually the whole crowd of Chinese that gathered around the bar to stare at all the foreigners in costume. They enjoyed the show as much as we enjoyed the free beer. It was a win-win!

Quality Halloween in China!

- Jon
P.S. MUCH more will follow in the near future. Sorry I haven't been updating recently, but I'll get back on that...

No comments: