Friday, November 21, 2008

"Boots with the fur..."

Many of you will recognize the lyrics from this post's title. Sadly, the title has nothing at all to do with the content - the song has just been stuck in my head recently (mostly because of Sarah singing it incessantly at frisbee). On the upside, the song still brings back pleasant memories of Smartwhores in Brooklyn. Also, I still can't get over the fact the name Flo-rida. So impressed. Haha.

Anyways, this week has passed by relatively quickly and not too much out of the ordinary happened. We had a going away party for Angela (one of my colleagues at school who has quit and is moving back to Germany this Sunday). The highlight of the party was definitely watching the straight confusion on the faces of our Chinese friends as we tried to explain Texas Hold 'Em and Mafia. Their faces just screamed "help me!" It made for some pretty entertaining (if slow moving) games. On Thursday Emma and I were treated to a delicious meal at Mario's Pizza. As a rule, we don't eat much Western food in China (it is much more expensive than Chinese food and usually doesn't taste much like the real thing), but one of Emma's student's invited us to Mario's (a restaurant owned by her father). The food was delicious, the wine was good, and we even got to play with a two year-old Chinese boy who stumbled around the restaurant. Free food always warms my heart :)

In other news, I have been thinking about Japanese game shows a lot recently. Do they have Chinese equivalents? Are they half as ridiculous? Can I get on one? In college, I considered myself a connoisseur of Japanese game shows (if you can be a connoisseur of something so stupid and ridiculous). I've been rewatching them on YouTube recently and showing them to my students - who are duly impressed by such nonsense. Here are a couple of my favorites:



Japanese tongue twisters + mechanized crotch shots = recipe for hilarity.



Human Tetris is always good for a few laughs.



Endurance. Probably my favorite of all time. I still can't believe it exists.



Here's a pretty silly one where they do stupid things in a library. You have to wait until the "Old Man Bites Tenderly" event. It's worth it.

- Jon

No comments: