Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I'm back in Shanghai now and it's nice to be back. It's also nice to be able to feel my hands and feet... A fair amount of interesting stuff has happened recently, but I'm pretty tired and I'm going to leave most of it for another day. Instead, I just want to make two final notes about my trip to Harbin.

1) I have not shaved in almost 2 weeks, so I have quite a homeless man beard going right now. Luckily, in China, this beard brings me lots of respect (particularly from cab drivers and men selling food on the street). I've gotten quite a few universal "I respect and admire you as an accomplished and worldly gentleman" recently. This consist of wild gesturing at my scrub, a ridiculously smiling face, and big thumbs up.

2) On my flight back from Harbin I sat was sitting in between two ladies. As the plane started to taxi out to the runway we all buckled our seatbelts. To my surprise, both of these ladies were then unable to unbuckle their belts. They had no idea what to do and were literally trying to tear the fabric apart to get out. I don't think either had ever flown before... Anyways, they were so grateful for my assistance that they insisted on stuffing me full of homemade dumplings on the flight back. I didn't complain :)

- Jon

No comments: