Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bragging Rights

About a year ago, I went to see a play called The Shipment at The Kitchen (theater), associate directed by my dear dear friend (ahem….sister) Lee Sunday Evans. It was in the raw-ish stages of development, with the director Young Jean Lee open to comments and critiques by the audience. It was created as a “black-identity politics show,” meant to really push the envelope on both white and black perceptions of race…and sort of taking off all the sugar-coated layers and forcing the audience to confront it all. I was impressed by every aspect of the show: direction, acting, writing…to me, it didn’t feel “raw” in the sense of unfinished…just real.

Now, I am proud to announce here that the play has made a few changes and improvements and has earned itself outstanding and respecting reviews in the theater section of the New York Times. Check it out:
The Shipment: New York Times Review

If you live in New York (and have an open mind), I highly recommend this show.

And my compliments to the beautiful and talented Lee Sunday Evans. Keep rockin’ girl!

-Emma

No comments: