Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sports Meeting Continued...

Emma and I are back from our week-long vacation, but I'm going to leave the tales of Huangshan for another post. Right now, I have to go back to last week's Suzhou Foreign Language School Sports Meeting. Basically, instead of working on Friday and Saturday everybody in the school goes outside for an enormous track and field meet. Things get kicked off by a fully absurd opening ceremony during which each grade marches out in some sort of costume, presents themself before the "distinguished persons" table, does some sort of routine (anything from illicit dance moves to kung fu and yes I have video...), and then marches off. It was spectacular - here you can see for yourself:

Here comes Grade 3

Rocking out...

No sports meet is complete without Power Ranger ninjas

It should also be noted that EVERYBODY participated in this sports meet (even our chubby principal). There were all sorts of events. There was your standard 400m dash and shotput and some more bizarre events such as the 100m dash (while hula-hooping) and the stick and hoop dash. Hilarity... Anyways, everybody was part of the action and this meant that Emma and I ended up competing. I did the long jump, shotput, and 1500m and ended up 1st in shotput and 2nd in the 1500m. Here are some pictures of me and Emma in action!


Mid-jump action shot

Hurling shot

Shotput!

Showing off the big guns (the Chinese guys loved this one...)

Words can only begin to describe...

I'm going to be updating more frequently now that we're back in town. I'm also going to work on getting some video of the sports meet up (its worth it...) I hope you are all doing well!

- Jon

No comments: