Thursday, October 16, 2008

Phillies Phever!

As many of you on the other side of the world already know, the Phillies have just beaten the Dodgers to win the National League pennant and will soon be playing in the World Series! This may not seem like a monumental event, but I assure you that for any Phillies fan anywhere this is a big deal. Philadelphia has been plagued by mediocre (or downright terrible) professional sports teams for the past two and half decades (i.e. my entire life). They haven't won a championship since 1983 (no Super Bowl, no World Series, no Stanley Cup, and no whatever they win in the NBA.) It's been a tough time to be a fan. Year after year Philadelphia sports teams will either perform terribly or play just well enough to almost make it. It's gotten to the point where its hard to be optimistic about anything Philly sports related.

This reminds me of the last time the Phillies were in the World Series. It was 1993 and I was 9 years old. I was an avid baseball card collector and loved playing the game. It was with great pleasure that I watched the Phillies take on the Toronto Blue Jays. In a thrilling 7-game series, the Phillies built up my hopes and dreams and then crushed them suddenly. I remember watching Joe Carter hit the walk-off home run in Game 7. It was then that my innocence as a sports fan died. I also burned all of Mitch Williams cards after that game. I still cringe when I hear his name. "Wild Thing" - please...

Anyways, I wish I were back in the States and could revel in the Phillies' glory. I wish I could watch the games on TV. I wish I could tease Rob about the Mets collapsing again. But alas, no. It is almost impossible to watch a live game out here (due to time difference and work). There is no joy in Mudville :(

- Jon

No comments: