Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You have no seat on your bicycle...

I know it's been awhile since our last update. We don't really have a good excuse - life is just busy. We spent a wonderful weekend in Shanghai hanging out with our new frisbee friends (Milan and Sara). Milan hosted us at his place all weekend and I couldn't imagine a more pleasant place to hang out or a more gracious host. It always amazes me that no matter where I go, the frisbee community is always full of cool, nice, and interesting people. Thank god for frisbee!

Random: here is a picture of sijidou (one of our favorite dishes):


Anyways, one of the huge highlights of this past weekend for me was Tappanyaki (sp). All you can eat/drink Japanese = my dream come true. I was ordering scallops, sashimi, steaks, fried bananas, mushrooms, and mushrooms wrapped in steaks until I couldn't eat any more. It was amazing :) Needless to say, I will be returning again and again. (Char - thanks for the recommendation!)

Some other big news is the purchase of the new electric bicycle. I've been pretty obsessed with these things since I arrived. Basically, these things are scooters with large batteries that chug along at 30km/hr. You can charge them up at any outlet in your house and they are EVERYWHERE in Suzhou. I'd say it is the main form of transportation here. There are two different varieities - there are the ones that look like bicycles and the ones that look like motorcycles. I opted for a bicycle-looking one. It seemed a bit more aerodynamic and at 30 km/hr I'm going to have a need for speed. Here's a picture of it:

I haven't named the bike yet, but it clearly needs a name. Any suggestions?

- Jon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for a pet name for your new bike, how about "Goober." :)

Unknown said...

It immediately reminded me of Zoolander - what about calling it "Derek"?

Pete said...

I'd go with "White Lightning"
Reasons:
It is white.
lightning is electric, so is the bike.
you will be a blur of whiteness and Caucasian-ness moving around is a bustling city sticking out like lightning on a night sky.