Friday, August 8, 2008

Buses

I'm as big a fan of the Chinatown bus as anybody else. I've probably ridden New Century or Fung Wah between Philly, NYC, and Boston almost a hundred times at this point. The cheap prices, decreipt machinery, and hilarious antics of the drivers have always amused me and kept me coming back for more. I thought that Chinatown bus was the most ridiculous way to travel, but that has all changed now that I've ridden the buses in Cambodia...

The buses themselves aren't in terrible shape considering the busted roads they are constantly rolling over, but expecting A/C or a functioning bathroom is over the top here. The drivers seem more than a bit deranged (thankfully you can't see what's happened most of the time). If they're not driving on the wrong side of the road and laying into their horn to keep cattle from wandering into their path, then they just aren't having a good time. Nothing gives you more confidence than catching a glimpse of a grinning madman at the wheel when you glance at the rearview mirror... Another thing that I've found interesting - everybody seems to think that it's their god-given right to transport as many live chickens as they'd please on these buses. They pack them up in what looks like over-size purses with holes and stuff them in every space possible. Hilarious. On our most recent ride, I was politely asked to leave my seat (through a series of gestures) by the driver's assistant who then promptly dismantled the seat, unscrewed a series of floorboards, and began taking wrenches to the now revealed engine. The man was doing repairs WHILE WE WERE STILL MOVING! I only wish I had the forethought to take a picture...

Two days to China!

- Jon

No comments: