Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blog Attempt















I'm just messing around with this blog thing right now. This is going to be my first experimentation with blogging, so I have a lot to learn. Hopefully I'll have everything humming by the time Emma and I reach China. This is going to be our way to communicate beyond the Great Chinese Firewall!

Right now I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. I've been in Thailand for the past two weeks and far too much has happened to recap, so I'll just list a couple of highlights:
  • piloting a poorly constructed/sinking bamboo raft near the Myanmar border (image to follow)
  • playing/fighting with lots of monkeys in Lop Buri
  • riding through the jungle on an elephant's head (while clutching on for dear life)
  • motorcycling more than walking
  • following our insane guide, Yut, on stunning jungle hikes and eating the weird things he found for us
  • eating at every noodle shop in Thailand
  • finding our home away from home in the omnipresent (and surprisingly clean) 7-Elevens
  • learning how to cook from a true Thai master (who was definitely crazy)
  • admiring and exploring beautiful waterfalls while having our feet nibbled by little fish
  • sweating 24/7
  • conquering the plague (Emma finally won after an all-night bout in a Karen village)


That's all for now!

- Jon

5 comments:

www.adancingmind.com said...

Emma and Jon, I think I just sent a comment that seemed it was from Emma but anyone who speaks or writes English at all will know it was from her mother, Carol...
So in case it didn't get published I wanted to reiterate that your Asian Invasion is the best political move in Asia as of yet, you look gorgeous which is the most important thing, right? and seem happy....Thank the temples, Emma, your sickness is over and thanks, Jon....Love, Mamma Carol Bear

www.adancingmind.com said...

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I'm distracted from all the writing on distraction.
I know that if I write every day someone will intervene and start commenting...It's so great that you are seeing new things and all that stuff. Do you guys want comments, attention, dialogue or?
You know me, Emma, I hate the 0 response thingy but I'm sure others wil get the drift.....
Hmmm, Thai food in Thailand, what a concept....Love to you both, Emma's Mamma

Radhika said...

the pictures are great! I am so glad emma survived the wretched plague! hope you guys have a great time in Cambodia!

Howard the Plumber said...

Hi Jon, I'm at a week-long solar conference at Dickinson just now, and this has been my first access to the net in a few days. Yesterday we built a solar array at a local farm and there's a lot of fantastic networking going on, and of course for me it's a trip down memory lane. But I'd trade it all in a blink to be where you guys are and eat some of those noodles, etc. Emma, what a great idea to keep us all posted with a blog/travel diary. Love it and you both. Stay frosty, H./DAD

Genevra Pittman said...

hot shirt greenberg!